[packagekit] A new design update viewer

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 13:45:32 PST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 4:32 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> > - It is somewhat irritating that one can select the rows on the
> > summary page, when there is nothing that you can do with the
> > selection. Suggest to make the treeview non-selectable here. Same for
> > the "nothing to do" screen.
>
> How do you do this? Insensitive makes the control grayed out - thanks.

I've pushed the fix. gtk_tree_selection_set_mode, if you are interested.

> > - The double progress bars you get for the actual update are very
> > disorienting. The smaller one seems to track the larger progress. And
> > the larger one constantly tells me wrong times.
>
> Ahh, the wrong times is a backend problem - but the fact that it keeps
> changing is probably a good indication we shouldn't show them unless we
> keep getting them about right.

I'll look at this again the next time a sufficient number of updates
have accumulated in rawhide (ie probably tonight)

> > I did a larger update, and it was infuriating to constantly be told
> > that it would take 30 seconds, or 15, or 20, only to be greeted by the
> > next empty progress bar after some (usually longer than promised)
> > time. Best to lose the time estimates altogether, since we won't be
> > able to get them reliable enough to make sense.
>
> Well, I think disabling the timer if we are not getting sane times. Are
> you trying packagekitd from git - there were some time fixes in this
> area recently.

The other problem with the coming and going time information is that
it changes the height of the progress bar, which looks bad, too.

> > - The list on the progress page is very unclear. It took me quite a
> > while to figure out that it is supposed to list all the little parts
> > of the big transaction. I don't think we _have_ to reuse the list with
> > similar icons and package names on every single screen...better to
> > just have a single field for the currently running part, like the old
> > progress screen had
>
> Isn't it useful seeing what was installed and updated? I don't mind
> changing this either way.

I guess it is, but probably only if you are actually interested in
such minutiae.
If I just clicked "Update System", I'd hope for a simple, encouraging
"All updated!" screen with a big thumbs up icon or somesuch...

Reviewing the details of the transaction is really more for control freaks...