[packagekit] A new design update viewer

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 15:15:34 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 17:11 -0500, Robin Norwood wrote:
> Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 13:24 -0500, Robin Norwood wrote:
> >> o It seems odd on the first page to have a list of (at most) 3 or so
> >> items (normal updates, security updates, ?).  Then we jump to a separate
> >> window if we want details.  Maybe a hybrid where you have '2 normal
> >> updates ->', then a click to open up a 'tree' of the normal updates.
> >
> > Maybe, I'm not against this idea but I quite liked the simplicity of the
> > "how important are the updates" overview window.
>
> Well, huge-long-list by default is certainly bad.  Maybe if the UI
> somehow indicated that there were a fixed set of different types of
> updates, it would bother me less.  As an alternative along these lines,
> we could show all the 'types' of updates all the time:
>
> 135 Normal Updates
> No Security updates

Maybe this is a good idea. I want to get some proper icons done for the
different update types, which may also look pretty cool. If we do this,
the list will contain always 6 things (security, high, low, normal,
bugfix and enhancement) which might fill it out some more.

> >> 2 normal updates -> (click)
> >>   - Foo update
> >>   - Bar update
> >>
> >> And then click on Foo update or Bar update to open up the details pane.
> >>
> >> This is kindof a step backwards to what you had before, though...
> >
> > Sure. I like to keep things quite simple.
>
> Well, the initial UI would be much the same as it is now, but the
> difference would be that clicking on the update type/count would open up
> the details in the same window instead of 'select and push Review
> Updates' button opening a new window.  I think people expect that
> clicking something gives them a more detailed view of that thing.

Well, mclasen has made it not clickable, but what you suggest is pretty
sane, although I admit I don't know how to do it.

> > Hmm. I think it should all be shown in the textview widget, we can
> > scroll down if required.
>
> Yep, you're right, I was confused above.  My only complaing about the
> way it is now is that there's a blank space below the last entry:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/rnorwood/update_system_screenshot.png
>
> Makes it look not-quite-right to me.

Totally. I can't reproduce here tho, although I'm using the dummy
backend. Could you please send the output of "pk-update-viewer
--verbose" pls and we can see if we can blame the backend, the server or
the client. Thanks.