[packagekit] Questions for PK and future zypp backend development

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Thu Jan 10 15:04:56 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 22:56 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 22:53 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 15:09 -0700, Boyd Timothy wrote:
> > > Hey everyone,
[...]
> > I also noticed that the PackageKit daemon calls backend_init when it
> > first starts up, but also on each subsequent command. Is there any
> > particular reason for this?
>
> Well, that's designed as an "init, assuming you are doing one thing and
> then closing down" i.e. open databases and lock. We probably need two
> init levels, one for a per-command "locking and stuff" and one for a
> per-invocation (with the databases and caches) step.

The problem is ipkg doesn't have kind of sophisticated stuff like this,
it has just one init procedure which sets it up ready for any command.

I haven't fully tested this on a device yet so it may turn out not to be
such a big deal.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/