[packagekit] Synchronous Python interface

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 8 23:56:17 PDT 2008

Hi Richard,

Richard Hughes [2008-07-08 21:01 +0100]:
> Right. You probably want to be adding your code to the git server --
> probably in python/ but I don't know the convention.

I don't see a general "Python stuff" branch on
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/ and I don't know how to browse
git.packagekit.org. Any more detailled instructions?

Alternatively I could add it to PackageKit/contrib/python/.

> We probably need to have different classes for async and sync, but
> I'm no python dude.

Right, if someone wants to use PK directly in a GUI app, an async
interface might be better (unless that uses threading).

> Async API's are not any better or worse, they just make it easier to do
> stuff without blocking. The GpkClient interface in gnome-packagekit can
> be made to block like you've done in python, as sometimes it's just
> waaay easier.

Right, since Jockey already uses a D-BUS backend (where you can use
async D-BUS calls), I prefer the synchronous one for my purposes.

Thanks for your feedback,

Martin