[packagekit] Hello & 2.3 Feedback

Karl Katzke kkatzke at tamu.edu
Wed Jul 9 08:26:59 PDT 2008

Howdy!

After I posted an entry to my blog yesterday about PackageKit and some problems I ran into as a user of Fedora 9, Richard suggested I join in and try to help make things a bit better. I appreciate the amount of work that has gone into PackageKit and have been impressed by the way it allows users to administer their software without causing a lot of confusion.

Unfortunately, just like the fedora-devel list, I have some UI concerns. I'm setting aside some time before this weekend to do some detailed analysis and make mockups of my suggestions. I'm a *complete* newb to any Linux interface programming, but I've spent the past nine years working on Windows (VB/.Net) UI design and Web UI design. I'm a Mac user and a big fan of not having to think too much as I'm using things... too many other things going on in my head.

I'd also like to help with documentation in a few areas -- the pkcon tool (especially man pages), the application itself, and the website. I'm a bit new to linux documentation, so I'll need a chance to come up to speed -- but there's a bunch of areas where I can see contributions to be made, and I'd like to step up where I can.

Two other unfortunate points with 2.3:
- Nebulous: During installation I received some errors that said "/usr/lib64/libming.so.0 is not a symlink" to standard error. I'd be more precise, but I can't find a record of the error in any logs, and it's making me do some serious head scratching.
- Debug attached: I experienced a gpk-application crash while the program was idling. (Actually, I was reading the fedora-devel list when it crashed.) A bug report is attached, although I wasn't running it with gdb at the time. I'm now running it in gdb and will post any more detailed information as I have the opportunity. It *could* have been due to a normal system update I performed just before installing it -- I hadn't yet restarted.

Thanks,
Karl Katzke
http://www.karlkatzke.com