[packagekit] KPackagekit in Kubuntu

Adrien BUSTANY madcat at mymadcat.com
Thu Jul 17 03:00:53 PDT 2008

Jonathan Riddell a écrit :
> Hi, I've packaged libpackagekit-qt and kpackagekit for Kubuntu Intrepid.
>
> https://edge.launchpad.net/~jr/+archive
>
> It's working really well, thanks for working on it Adrien and Daniel.

Great ! Thanks a lot for that.
> Before I upload it to the main Ubuntu archive there is an inconsistency in the
> licencing that needs fixed, the COPYING file is GPL 3 but the code is GPL 2.  I
> think it would be best to change it to GPL 2 since that would allow it to be
> put into KDE's SVN which would help speed up distro adoption.

OK, I'll see with Daniel, I don't see any objection to putting my code
under GPL2
> The upgrade module doesn't do anything and the settings module only lets me
> set the download interval, I wonder if that is due to limitations in the apt
> backend.
>
> It needs policykit of course, have you looked into using the policykit-kde
> code in http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/base/PolicyKit-kde/ ?  I
> couldn't get it working.

Actually, I only call policykit itself, and policykit chooses to use the
gnome, kde or console frontend. If PolicyKit-Kde is installed, I guess
it'll use it.
> Thinking about what would need to be done for it to be a complete distro
> package management tool, we currently have a systray applet that shows if
> there are updates needing processed, an application for installing a single
> package (used by a script from Amarok to install MP3 support for example) and
> a simplified install interface which only lists GUI applications (currently
> Ubuntu specific but there's no paticular reason it needs to be).  Does any of
> that interest you as developers?

As a library developper, it's ok for me as I don't do any frontend
related work :-) More seriously, I think Daniel will answer that question.