[packagekit] Res: KPackageKit and Shaman working together?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 02:54:22 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 09:27 -0700, dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br wrote:
> Now Shaman or any other project can use the lib and make a new ui...
> I think that the main point about KPackageKit is it nice integration
> with system settings
> and some other stuff that aren't ready yet. as i said i would like to
> KPackageKit be
> only a PackageKit ui (also the official), and no plugin stuff...

Define plugin stuff? I really don't think compiling from source is the
job of a package manager.

> Shaman imho is a very nice project that aims to be a super package
> manager, and i like it but for end users i think that the simplier ui
> the easy for then, package installing is already hard...

Being blunt -- I don't think you need an abstract UI when you have an
abstract backend. The whole point of PackageKit is so you can have a
lightweight GNOME frontend, a KDE frontend, a XFCE frontend etc.

> Btw i don't know if they are already using the lib, cause i make some
> changes, we would like some feedback too if you have some wish for the
> lib :D

Sure, I'm just being protective of KPackageKit -- the library is already
really good and the UI is looking sleek. Just be careful adding too much
functionality and compromising the work already done. Just my 2 cents.

Richar.