[packagekit] gnome dbus interface

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 03:44:40 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 21:22 -0600, Scott Reeves wrote:
> I'm still not quite sure I understand the inner details of the dbus
> setup so bear with me, but I have an issue from the KDE guys. They are
> having issues with authentication when they run "pkcon install foo".
> The interface requested in pk-polkit-client.c is
> org.gnome.PolicyKit.Manager.  Could this functionality be provided by
> and requested generically by using something like
> org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.AuthenticationAgent.  The bug is
> "PolicyKit-kde doesn't work" so I think they get no dbus available on
> the init.

Yup, I've ripped out the gnome specific code and used polkit-auth so we
do the right thing in all desktop (and tty) environments. PackageKit was
always an early adopter or PolicyKit, and that's why we were not using
the latest API calls to make all this stuff just work.

Fix is in master. I think you just want to cherry-pick the
bae3ce7b98adfc79e9ed8c3c2c4786ef48025072 commit into the distro-openSUSE
branch.

Thanks, and sorry for the delay - I've spent all morning reading the
PolicyKit docs from start to finish for the first time!

Richard