[packagekit] iface.InstallPackageName('openoffice-clipart') did not work

nicholas adrian nicholas_adrian at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 16:08:18 PDT 2008

It was version 0.1.12. I updated to the latest one from rawhide:

PackageKit.i386                          0.2.3-3.20080611.fc10  rawhide
PackageKit-libs.i386                   0.2.3-3.20080611.fc10  rawhide
gnome-packagekit.i386              0.2.3-3.20080611.fc10  rawhide
yum-packagekit.i386                  0.2.3-3.20080611.fc10  rawhide

It can see 'InstallPackageName' right now.

Tests:
1. Install a package.
    The package was installed successfully but I got the following message:

    Unable to use PackageKit: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

2. Re-install the same package.
    Got the following message:

ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.16:/org/freedesktop/PackageKit: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Unable to use PackageKit: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

    and the gpk-update-icon hang. I have to 'kill' it from command line.

3. Delete the package and reinstall it.
    The package was installed successfully and got the same message as before.

    Unable to use PackageKit: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

- How to remove that error message when install a package?
- How to get the return value, say '5' which mean the package already installed?

-Nicholas-