[packagekit] Changing the Package signal to include a type

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Tue Mar 4 04:54:42 PST 2008

* Tim Lauridsen <tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com> [Mar 04. 2008 13:36]:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
> > After my talk at FOSDEM I got talking to the suse guys about other types
> > of package, such as deltarpm and binary patches. We don't want to treat
> > these any differently, but we might want to display a different icon in
> > the UI or have different update policy based on the update type.

This is probably a misunderstanding.
SUSE does support 'delta' and 'patch' rpms as a way to shorten
download times when updating an installed package.

Both are internal optimizations (patch rpm only includes changed files,
delta rpm only contains binary diffs of changed files) not intended
to be exposed to the user[*]. They are purely backend related.

Klaus

[*] Some users actually do care but thats nothing PackageKit should be
concerned of imho.
Klaus Kämpf <kkaempf at novell.com>
Architect Systems Management, Open Platform Solutions