[packagekit] ServicePack: The magic file

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Mar 27 10:22:21 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 17:11 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 16:56 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Following this email will be specific thread for discussion. So no code
> > yet -- but I'm working on it.
> At the moment in my local tree, packagekit watches for new volumes and
> checks that they contain a magic filename in the root directory,
> servicepack.ini - if so, adds them as a local repo using the backend.

I'd actually do this in another way. Just define an x-content/* type and
Nautilus will automagically detect this once this gets into

So I suggest to define the type x-content/packagekit-servicepack. Then
PackageKit ships with an application that handles said x-content/* type
and it's all nicely integrated

 - There's an "Open With" context menu item

 - A cluebar (e.g. saying "This media contains a Service Pack")

 - Configurable actions (e.g. always/never/ask etc.)

 - Proper prompts

(For Fedora in the short term (e.g. Rawhide when f10 opens) we can
manually patch Nautilus to recognize x-content/packagekit-servicepack.
So can other distros. But long term we're going to get this into
shared-mime-info so you can do this without any Nautilus patching.)

> * Is servicepack.ini a good name?

No. I think ini is a Microsoft-ism. You probably also want to prefix it
with PackageKit to properly name space it. Suggest to use