[packagekit] ServicePack: The magic file

Stanislav Visnovsky visnov at suse.cz
Fri Mar 28 07:20:01 PDT 2008

Dňa Friday 28 March 2008 04:38:52 David Zeuthen ste napísal:
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 17:54 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> This makes it extremely transparent to the user what is going on. No
> repos are automagically added without the user knowing what is going on.
> The user is prompted and reminded that the media contains packaged
> software. He gets to decide whether it should be added or not.

Agreed, transparency is very important here, as Service Pack is a major update
of a system.

> Implementation-wise this is even simpler. You don't need to pollute the
> main daemon with extra code or dependencies.
>
> And the result is pretty much the same.

I must admin I like the desktop integration better than PackageKit
integration. The reason is that the Service pack handling is pretty much
distro-specific. Yes, in the end its a bunch of packages, but it might be
more than that (messing with repositories comes to mind).

Stano