[packagekit] RFC - easy install/remove

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 08:21:30 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 07:31 -0800, Peter Nash wrote:
> This, in another words, means new users won't get an easy way to
> remove software using PackageKit, as they are used to in M$ Win,
> right? :(

No, it means it's a hard problem to solve. Have you tried doing:

pkcon get-packages --filter="installed;newest;gui"

This should show you a list of all the graphical tools installed on your
system -- it would be 10 minutes work to create a GUI around that.

I'm umming and erring about creating a web-datastore for applications,
that can be downloaded by a distro, munged with their
application->package mapping, then munged with user/distros reviews and
screenshots and then downloaded to a thick client or used in a web
context with the packagekit plugin.

It's a really hard problem to solve (keeping the data up to date), and
needs lots of thinking about.