[packagekit] Res: Features discussion/request KPackageKit

Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett dmacvicar at suse.de
Thu Nov 20 06:36:35 PST 2008

Daniel Nicoletti wrote:<!-- DIV {margin:0px;} -->
> but as far as i know there is no way yet to set repos yet in pk right?
> i only see gnome app enabling and disabling then (and that's what i do).

Yes, thats why the proposal is:

backend knows wether there are update repos or not (as this may be
calculated distribution specific)
backend emits signal (with specific enum)
kpackagekit catches signal, shows warning and allow to start tool to
configure repos
tool to configure repos is configurable, like other scripts
tool is launched.

Why you want a flexible tool? because getting an update repo is not the
same as repository management. For example in openSUSE we just add an
repo url that is specified in the same product, but in SLE you need to
register with Novell Customer Center, which is done by a YaST module.

Duncan