[packagekit] PackageKit & Debian, Was: External dependencies, DeviceKit-power and GNOME Power Manager

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 26 07:13:04 PST 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 26.11.2008, 15:11 +0100 schrieb Martin Pitt:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Richard Hughes [2008-11-26 13:23 +0000]:
> > I'm not sure what questions you would ever need to ask for jockey. Have
> > you got any examples?
>
> Indeed I try hard to not ask any in jockey, I just got a bug report
> about the fglrx driver, which failed to install because of a conffile
> question (which obviously can't be answered, since the jockey backend
> runs noninteractively -- pretty much the same problem as in PK
> itself). Those kinds of things can and should be fixed in the driver
> packages, though.

The apt backend can handle config file conflicts by defaulting to the
old one.

Perhaps this helps you in jockey:

apt_pkg.Config.Set("DPkg::Options::", '--force-confdef')
apt_pkg.Config.Set("DPkg::Options::", '--force-confold')

> The only real question I ever needed to ask was for installing the
> firmware for the b43 kernel module; while the kmod itself is free and
> shipped upstream, the firmware isn't freely redistributable, and thus
> you have to provide a source for b43-fwcutter (MacOS or driver CD, or
> a download URL). Of course I can ask a custom-coded question before
> installing the driver, but I'd much rather use the already existing
> packaging scripts from the b43-fwcutter package (which use debconf).

I want to add debconf pre-seeding capabilities to the apt backend. Which
should be low hanging fruit. In the end I would like to implement
license questions using pre-seeds, but this is only a vague idea.

Cheers,

Sebastian