[packagekit] Packagekit information

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 5 22:39:01 PDT 2008

Vladimir Melo wrote:

> 2008/10/5 Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com
> <mailto:hughsient at gmail.com>>
>
>     On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 09:39 -0300, Vladimir Melo wrote:
>     > Packagekit is really easy, but I miss some information like download
>     > speed and estimated time. I don't know if my download is coming or
>     > not, for example.
>
>     We've got time to completion, but not really any download speed.
>     I'm not
>     sure it's useful.
>
>     > Are you planning to add this kind of information soon?
>
>     Time is tricky. Estimating time is even harder. If you look at the
>     PkTime code you'll see that there is lots of code to do the
>     estimation,
>     but nothing works well.
>

> I was talking to my friend (he's also developer) and we think
> progress, estimated time and total size of package are very important
> informations. He was invited to take a look at the code and help with
> an idea. Unfortunately (in this case), my help is only translations.
>
> See you,
> Vladimir Melo

The following can be useful and can be done easy:
(4/10) packages downloaded can be useful
(2 / 50 MB) downloaded can
Current download speed 456 KiB/s

but it easily get to cluttered in the progress dialog, if you show to
much information.

But the ETA for the hole transaction is very hard to do, you can do it
on then downloading, but for the installation, you don't have any time
measures
of how long it will take.

Tim