[packagekit] Translations: Ambiguous, unclear and other dodgy messages

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 02:52:56 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 21:34 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> > #. TRANSLATORS: The package name was not found in any software sources
> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:555
> > #, c-format
> > msgid "The package '%s' could not be installed: %s"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Maybe also mention that the second is the error?

Fixed.

> (1): Then, I don't know how likely it is that there is a language that
> would reverse the order of both placeholders (en_YODA maybe ;-), but to
> be 100% on the safe-side you could use indexed placeholders wherever
> there is more than one placeholder used:

Nahh, I always want the error on the right -- then the errors "chain up"
in the correct way.

> [...]
> > #. TRANSLATORS: When removing, we might have to remove other deps
>
> Perhaps spell out "dependencies", translators might not be privy to our
> slang.

Fixed.

> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:736
> > msgid "The following packages have to be removed"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Missing colon? "... removed:"? or even "... removed: %s"?

Fixed.

> [...]
> > #. TRANSLATORS: We did not remove any packages
> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:748
> > msgid "The package removal was cancelled!"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Spellchecker flagged this for me:
>
> (2) Probably en_GB (or en_AU ;-) instead of en_US -- this will likely
> not be "translated" (serves 'em right ;-P).

Fixed, although I AM an en_GB :-)

> > #. TRANSLATORS: The package name was not found in any software sources
> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:789
> > #, c-format
> > msgid "This tool could not find the package '%s' to download"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "... download."?

Fixed.

> > #. TRANSLATORS: There was an error getting the list of files for the
> > package. The detailed error follows
> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:874 ../client/pk-console.c:882
> > #, c-format
> > msgid "This tool could not get the requires for '%s': %s"
> > msgstr ""
>
> (1), "requirements" rather

Fixed.

> > #. TRANSLATORS: There was an error getting the depends for the
> > package. The detailed error follows
>
> "dependencies"

Fixed.

> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:904 ../client/pk-console.c:912
> > #, c-format
> > msgid "This tool could not get the dependancies for '%s': %s"
> > msgstr ""
>
> (1), also "dependancies" is en_US only (or even wrong, I don't get a
> clear read on that), "dependencies" is common to all en_*, so better use
> that for consistency

Fixed.

> [...]
> > #. TRANSLATORS: This a request for a GPG key signature
> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:1127
> > msgid "Repository signature required"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Under which circumstances would this happen, i.e. is the user expected
> to supply this signature? I could think of that this means that the
> repositories signature isn't installed yet, true?

True. I've added a note to the translator comment.

> > #. TRANSLATORS: This a prompt asking the user to import the security
> > key
> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:1137
> > msgid "Okay to import key?"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "Shall the key be imported?" or even "Shall the key be accepted?" as
> end-users likely won't have an idea what "imported" imports ;-).

"You you accept this signature?"

> > #. TRANSLATORS: This is where the user declined the security key
> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:1141
> > msgid "Did not import key"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "The key wasn't accepted (imported ...)."

"The signature was not accepted."

> > #. TRANSLATORS: This a request for a EULA
>
> Yeah right, but...
>
> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:1175
> > msgid "Eula required"
> > msgstr ""
>
> ... what does that mean to the user? Just curious ;-).

The user has to accept the EULA text before the install will continue.

> > #. TRANSLATORS: This a prompt asking the user to agree to the licence
>
> EULA <-> License?

I think EULA doesn't belong. I've spelt out:

"End user license agreement required"
"Do you agree to this license?"
"The license was refused."

> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:1182
> > msgid "Do you agree?"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "... to the license/licence?" (possibly (2)) or rather "... EULA?"? I
> think you should use either "license/licence" or "EULA" consistently.

license.

> > #. TRANSLATORS: This is when the daemon crashed, and we are up shit
> > creek without a paddle
>
> You mean where the fecal matter hit the rotary impeller (for all the PC
> inclined types) ;-)?

Yes. If you're reading that message, get rowing.

> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:1215
> > msgid "The daemon crashed mid-transaction!"
> > msgstr ""
>
> > #. TRANSLATORS: This is when we could not connect to the system bus,
> > and is fatal
> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:1387
> > msgid "This tool could not connect to system DBUS."
> > msgstr ""
>
> Perhaps spell it out as a fatal error to the user?

Ohh, it'll be obvious as it's a g_error. To be honest, if the user isn't
running DBUS, i would be surprised they got this far.

> [...]
> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:1549
> > msgid "You need to specify a eula-id"
> > msgstr ""
>
> What does this mean for me as a user (hard to imagine that, yeah)?

"You need to specify a licence identifier (eula-id)" -- this isn't
really for end users -- more sys-admins and, well, me.

> [...]
> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:1574 ../client/pk-console.c:1581
> > msgid "You need to specify a repo name"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "repository"

Fixed.

> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:1588
> > msgid "You need to specify a repo name/parameter and value"
> > msgstr ""
>
> ditto

Fixed.

> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:1601
> > msgid "You need to specify a time term"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Is that the same as "time frame"?

Nahh, it's a bloody awful error message.

"You need to specify an action, e.g. 'update-system'"

> [...]
> > #. TRANSLATORS: The user tried to use an unsupported option on the
> > command line
> > #: ../client/pk-console.c:1710
> > #, c-format
> > msgid "Option '%s' not supported"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "... is not supported."?

Fixed.

> [...]
> > #: ../client/pk-generate-pack.c:140
> > msgid "Set the filename of dependencies to be excluded"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Yet another spellchecker find: "file name"?

Fixed.

> > #: ../client/pk-generate-pack.c:142
> > msgid ""
> > "The directory to put the pack file, or the current directory if
> > ommitted"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "... where to put..." -- what does this message describe? a CLI option?

"The output directory (the current directory is used if ommitted)"

> > #: ../client/pk-generate-pack.c:144
> > msgid "The package to be put into the ServicePack"
> > msgstr ""
> >
> > #: ../client/pk-generate-pack.c:146
> > msgid "Put all updates available in the ServicePack"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "service pack"?

Fixed.

> > #. TRANSLATORS: This is when the user fails to supply the correct
> > arguments
> > #: ../client/pk-generate-pack.c:166
> > msgid "Neither --package or --updates option selected."
> > msgstr ""
> >
> > #. TRANSLATORS: This is when the user fails to supply just one
> > argument
> > #: ../client/pk-generate-pack.c:174
> > msgid "Both options selected."
> > msgstr ""
>
> "Both --package and --updates options selected. You can only choose
> individual or all updates."? Perhaps the (new?) --updates option should
> be --all-packages instead (that's how I read pk-generate-pack.c)?

--package = one file
--updates = all pending updates

You can't combine the options.

> > #. TRANSLATORS: This is when the temporary directory cannot be created
> > #: ../client/pk-generate-pack.c:222
> > msgid "Failed to create directory."
> > msgstr ""
>
> "Failed to create temporary directory '%s' which is needed for ..."?
> Listing the directories helps people who can't or don't want to use
> strace to debug permission issues ;-).

Fixed.

> > #. TRANSLATORS: This is when the list of packages from the remote
> > computer cannot be opened
> > #: ../client/pk-generate-pack.c:231
> > msgid "Failed to open package list."
> > msgstr ""
>
> Is this a problem on the remote end, or in the network, or local?

Local, if you read the help text in gpk-service-pack it explains it
rather well I think.

> > #. TRANSLATORS: This is when the user fails to supply the correct
> > arguments
> > #: ../client/pk-generate-pack.c:241
> > msgid "Finding package name."
> > msgstr ""
>
> "Please specify a package name."?

Bad translator comment, fixed.

> > #. TRANSLATORS: This is when the package cannot be foudn in any
> > software source
> > #: ../client/pk-generate-pack.c:245
> > #, c-format
> > msgid "Failed to find package '%s': %s"
> > msgstr ""
>
> (1)

Fixed.

> [...]
> > #. TRANSLATORS: The package was not found in any software sources
> > #: ../client/pk-tools-common.c:109
> > #, c-format
> > msgid "The package could not be found"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "The package '%s' could not be found in any software source."?

Nahh, we could be looking for it locally too.

> [...]
> > #. TRANSLATORS: update to a new version of the package
> > #: ../contrib/packagekit-plugin/src/contents.cpp:330
> > #, c-format
> > msgid "Upgrade to version %s"
> > msgstr ""
>
> Update (a single package) or upgrade (a whole distro)?

Goot catch. Fixed.

> > #. TRANSLATORS: To install a package
> > #: ../contrib/packagekit-plugin/src/contents.cpp:336
> > #, c-format
> > msgid "Install %s Now"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "... now" (capitalization)

Fixed.

> [...]
> > #: ../policy/org.freedesktop.packagekit.policy.in.h:1
> > msgid "Accept EULA"
> > msgstr ""
>
> I assume this is about a PolicyKit action/authorization: "Accepting a
> EULA for package installation"?

It's granting permission so the user can accept the EULA. It's just the
title.

> (3) I think for actions/authorizations the gerund form(?) would suit
> better than an infinitive.

Woo, I fail at English.

> [...]
> > #: ../policy/org.freedesktop.packagekit.policy.in.h:13
> > msgid "Install local file"
> > msgstr ""
>
> (3), "... package file"?

Package file doesn't "ring" right IMO -- got any other suggestions?

> > #: ../policy/org.freedesktop.packagekit.policy.in.h:14
> > msgid "Install untrusted local file"
> > msgstr ""
>
> (3), "untrusted" meaning "unsigned"? "Installing unsigned local package
> file"?

No, untrusted, meaning untrusted :-)

signed only is the same as trusted when you do the first phase of the
install -- see
http://www.packagekit.org/gtk-doc/introduction-ideas-transactions.html#introduction-ideas-transactions-trusted

> > #: ../src/pk-main.c:87
> > msgid "The correct user is not launching the executable (usually
> > root)"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "An unauthorized user launched the program (usually this should be done
> by the 'root' user)"?

It's not the fact they are unauthorized, it's just it's the wrong user.
Users should never see this message -- it's a developer thing.

> > #: ../src/pk-main.c:88
> > msgid ""
> > "The org.freedesktop.PackageKit.conf file is not installed in the
> > system /etc/"
> > "dbus-1/system.d directory"
> > msgstr ""
>
> "... system directory /etc/dbus-1/system.d"?

Fixed.

> I hope that wasn't too pedantic ;-).

No, it was perfect. You have an eye for this sort of work, and I really
appreciate it. If you're feeling generous, I've attached the newest pot
file again.