[packagekit] PackageKit and yum --skip-broken

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 10:06:25 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 19:58 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Yum by default aborts if there is a repository inconsistency. Rawhide
> and folks using third party repositories often runs into such issues and
> users have to fall back into using yum on the command line to get rest
> of the packages updated.  gpk-application does not make it easy to skip
> the packages and they have to unselected one by one. Does it make sense
> for PackageKit to call yum with skip broken option and just list the
> skipped packages like yum does but on the graphical interface?

I've made the skip-broken support more complete in git master, but it's
tricky to pass this back to the frontend tool, as yum only gives us:

u'libgdl-gnome-1.so.0 is needed by package 1:anjuta-2.4.2-1.fc10.i386'

Now, we could resolve anjuta to a package, but it would be difficult to
know what to unselect in this case.

The real fix is not to allow the repos to get in such an inconsistent
state.