[packagekit] PackageKit Collections

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sat Sep 13 05:05:01 PDT 2008

Tim Lauridsen wrote:

> the idea is to let installPackages support installing yum comps groups
>
> id = 'ibm-open-client;;[meta]'
> installPackage(id)
>
> will do the same as 'yum groupinstall ibm-open-client', installing the
> comps group with the groupid=ibm-open-client.
>
> We just need to agree on how to handle it in abstract way, so it
> can be
> useful in other package backends too and how to handle it in the gui.
> Before starting to implement it in the yum backend.

I have a problem with the above approach, and using repoid for this...

Currently I have the same metapackage appearing in two package channels,
say for instance fedora and fedora-updates - each with their own comps:

$ smart query --show-channel --show-summary ^fedora-packager
^fedora-packager-0 at noarch [fedora] - Fedora Packager
^fedora-packager-0 at noarch [fedora-updates] - Fedora Packager

Note: '^' was the value that I selected for the GROUP_PREFIX in Smart.
(It was needed to separate between the packages and the metapackages.)

$ smart search fedora-packager
^fedora-packager - Fedora Packager
^fedora-packager - Fedora Packager
fedora-packager - Tools for setting up a fedora maintainer environment

Now, if I replace the repo with '[meta]' then I now get two identical
package_ids whereas before they would differ in their "data" section:

'fedora-packager;0;noarch;[meta]'
'fedora-packager;0;noarch;[meta]'
'fedora-packager;0.3.0-1.fc9;noarch;fedora'

This is not good, since the package_id in PK must be unique for each ?
And if I remove a dupe, then I'm not sure which one the id refers to ?

Is there somewhere to store the "is-a-meta-package", outside the
repoid ?

--anders

PS.
The metapackages are not identical, if so they would only list once...
In this case, the one in Updates has added a new "curl" requirement.