[packagekit] Missing groups?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Sep 15 09:07:07 PDT 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:

>> These RPM package groups seem to be missing in the PackageKit enum:
>>
>>      # RPM (redhat)
>>      'Applications/Archiving'                  : GROUP_OTHER, ###
>> FIXME
>>      'Applications/Databases'                  : GROUP_OTHER, ###
>> FIXME
>>      'Applications/Emulators'                  : GROUP_OTHER, ###
>> FIXME
>>      'Applications/Engineering'                : GROUP_OTHER, ###
>> FIXME
>>      'Applications/File'                       : GROUP_OTHER, ###
>> FIXME
>>      # RPM (novell)
>>      'Productivity/Archiving'                  : GROUP_OTHER, ###
>> FIXME
>>      'Productivity/Databases'                  : GROUP_OTHER, ###
>> FIXME
>>      'Productivity/File utilities'             : GROUP_OTHER, ###
>> FIXME
>>      # RPM (mandriva)
>>      'Archiving'                               : GROUP_OTHER, ###
>> FIXME
>>      'Databases'                               : GROUP_OTHER, ###
>> FIXME
>>      'Emulators'                               : GROUP_OTHER, ###
>> FIXME
>>      'File tools'                              : GROUP_OTHER, ###
>> FIXME
>>
>> Maybe some should be added ? (ARCHIVING, DATABASES, EMULATORS, FILE)
>
> Right, I don't want the group list to explode, but I don't mind adding
> one or two more.
>
> If you give me a list of a few, I'll add them before the release.

Apparently the "Emulators" category can team up under Virtualization,
so it doesn't need anything new added. They're related enough, anyway.
But it seems that "Editors" is going to Publishing half of the time
and Accessories half of the time, so maybe it does need a new one...

So I guess that would make the group list additions:
- ARCHIVING (zip and tar and friends, some CD burners)
- EDITORS (mostly console text editors, some with GUI)
- DATABASES (currently going to "Programming" or so?)
- FILE (mostly file managers, some random tools too)

Arguably one could just put Archiving and File into Accessories,
and that would leave only Databases as a new category to add ?
I added some pre-sorting filtering for some Fedora RPM Groups,
but some of the packages are still going to strange categories.

Like "Fedora Packager" now in the Office group, for instance.
Guess some of this group sorting should be exported/reviewed.

--anders