[packagekit] KPackageKit 0.1 and QPackageKit2 released

Daniel Nicoletti dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br
Sun Sep 28 18:13:09 PDT 2008

Hi all,

We are proud to announce the first release of
KPackageKit 0.1 and QPackageKit 2.0.

We took 6~7 months to release the first that
we call "stable" version. It was also really
good to work with PackageKit guys, so we could
fix our problems and sometimes yours,
(please don't tell anyone that i committed to
gnome packagekit :P ).

But seriously we think this will make a huge
difference in PackageKit world since now it will
surely have more coming users. What can make
a standard for package management on Linux variants.

I'll just give a brief explanation of KPackageKit
for those who don't know it yet.

KPackageKit uses QPackageKit2, which is in version 2.0
since we had a problem with DBus and Adrien Bustany
(the lib creator and developer) decided to completely
rewrite it, so now (as for today) the lib don't have
any more known bugs :D

Also KPackageKit is divided in various sections:
 - A KCM module to Add and Remove Soft
 - A KCM module to manage updates
 - A KCM module to change KPackageKit settings
 - A KDED module to keep track of automatically updates
   and calling the Smart-Icon
 - A Smart Icon that shows the running transactions
 - KPackageKit executable to also show the popups of notifications

Well a very good thing that KPackageKit has is the KDED module
that allow us to have a single module consuming 1~2 mb of Ram
and "not slowing" the startup of KDE. It keeps tracks of the
running transactions and if it detects one it calls
kpackagekit-smart-icon to show then.
This last one exits in 7 minutes after no more transactions
running so you free memory and also KDE startup (since the default
behavior of KDE is to save the runnig application to the next log in).
And kpackagekit executable can loads all the Kcm modules to create a
ui like an application and also when called with --smart-update
does the proper thing to display/or install updates.
The KCM modules are the ones you can include on Kde's System Settings
which make it really userfriendly since most begginers users would
expect software management there.

Well Thanks to all how made this possible (quoting Richard)
And Please try it so we can have more feedback.
http://tinyurl.com/4hggzq

Cheers,
Daniel.

      Novos endereços, o Yahoo! que você conhece. Crie um email novo com a sua cara @ymail.com ou @rocketmail.com.