[packagekit] Res: One click install support in PackageKit

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Apr 7 05:28:29 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Debayan Banerjee <debayanin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone point me to a place where I can find lots of PackageKit
> catalog files?

I suspect there aren't any yet, as they were only introduced nine
months ago
( http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2008/06/05/packagekit-bundles/ ).

BTW, their original use case was as a portable replacement
for apt-get build-dep.  That's a use case I care about, too.
For Wine, I wrote a shell script that developers can use to
start hacking on Wine; it's at
http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/install-wine-deps.sh
That script supports several versions of Ubuntu and also the
latest Solaris.   It has a nasty kludge or two for 64 bit ubuntu.
I don't think I'd be able to use pure packagekit catalogs for this
until a) solaris supports packagekit, and b) ubuntu fixes
their numerous problems related to building 32 bit apps on 64
bit systems (at which point I could maybe also use apt-get
build-dep as a building block; I haven't tried that hard enough).
- Dan