[packagekit] Regarding updating packages using Packagekit

Ashwini Dhiman ashwinidhiman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 10:39:07 PST 2009

As of now, it seems that every time we launch gnome-packagekit from
the in Fedora, it has to query and ask for the packagelist from the
internet. On the other hand, if the list once downloaded, if saved on
the user's computer can make it available to him/her on opening
gnome-packagekit (just like synaptic package manager in Ubuntu). This
would enable the user to view the list of available packages even when
offline.

Also, when downloading packages packagekit downloads the packages from
one mirror. Can it be done so that a package and its dependencies be
simultaneously downloaded from multiple mirrors, also considering the
bandwidth and probably saving time. This idea originates from the fact
that most download managers create multiple port connections to enable
fast downloads. Thus if packagekit is made to download using multiple
ports, maybe the downloading can be made faster.

I am keen to know if something of this sort can be worked upon.

Regards,
Ashwini