[packagekit] Triggering EULA dialog?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Feb 7 07:23:33 PST 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> and [I don't think] enforcing a EULA is a smart thing to do, sorry.
>>
>> Then why does PackageKit offer the EULA feature?
>
> My understanding is that, SUSE wanted it and this feature is a
> compromise to aid adoption.

That makes sense, thanks for the info.

Presumably the Debian configuration questions are also supported,
so that's one more place an EULA could be shown
(albeit post-download), right?

> Nevertheless, you really have to think hard
> whether you want to use it as a solution at all.

Since people can copy the .rpm and install it out of the context
of the metadata, one can't rely on the Suse-style pre-download
metadata being shown, so any app that wants to show a EULA
probably needs to show it on first run.   Anyone who does this
should of course pay attention to the controversy over the
Firefox EULA, see
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/09/ubuntu-firefox-eula-dustup-reignites-oss-licensing-debate.ars
- Dan