[packagekit] Your Up Date Application

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue Jun 2 12:10:02 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Daniel Nicoletti
<dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

>>Is it really all that useful to reimplement cron/at? If so, it would
>>be more useful to have a more generic desktop task scheduler than to
>>implement it in PK.
>
>>pkcon + cron/at should be able to satisfy any needs (including "every
>>other month on fridays that happen to be even days at 3:07").
>
> Yeah, i thought of that too, Kde/gnome could have a task manager where we
> could see all tasks, BUT it's still far better to have it in the user interface,
> the user will probably do not want to find out where he can schedule that...
> and in most cases a simply "weekly" would do the job.
> Also cron/at AFAIK can't measure when was the last time the event occurred,
> so if last update was 10 years ago it won't matter, all it cares is if
> it's at the right time (ie, it's 10:30 of sunday of all weeks do pk update).
> if the user never starts his computer at that time... he'll never get an update.
> Cron/at are excellent tools for Servers that keep running all the year,
> but for desktops it sucks.. imo

Sure, that's why I suggested having a desktop task scheduler. PK could
consume its API and schedule itself without implementing its own cron
daemon. Also I'd expect desktop crons to handle stuff like "at 3 am or
as soon as you can on if that time was missed".

--
Patryk Zawadzki