[packagekit] Add on media and offline package installation

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 07:10:34 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 06/04/2009 06:25 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Rahul Sundaram
>> <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> 1) Run gpk-service-pack (This should really be installed by default)
>>
>> It doesn't get the testing to be installed by default, IMHO.
>
> I can help with that. I did file one and get it fixed already.

Cool, and if people start using it more, then I'll add it to Fedora 12
by default.

>>> 2) Give a list of packages. Service pack with the entire list of
>>> packages+ dependencies would be created
>>
>> You can put multiple packages in the textbox, e.g. "hal,hal-info,kernel,glibc"
>
> I tried with spaces instead and got No package "foo bar" found. foo, bar
> doesn't work either. Maybe you can support these variants or add a hint
> next to the text box that multiple packages with comma and no spaces
> between them is supported. Also it says "create an archive of a specific
> package" which suggests that multiple packages are not supported.

commit aa169977e108046ba77a2a24b229e6cd5222abc0
Author: Richard Hughes <richard at hughsie.com>
Date:   Thu Jun 4 15:08:17 2009 +0100

    Add a tooltip to the package entry box in the service pack creator

:100644 100644 f37fd3e... 2e552ae... M  data/gpk-service-pack.ui

commit c12d808a729f493948de08deb73f707dce68bb9c
Author: Richard Hughes <richard at hughsie.com>
Date:   Thu Jun 4 15:03:52 2009 +0100

    Split the package list up with freeform delimiters, and resolve
the list in a better way

:100644 100644 c397a9b... 21b4958... M  src/gpk-service-pack.c

> Users would have to know to do that. I am not sure the audience you are
> targeting would be aware of this.

The packages have a nice icon and description, and so I think they are
discoverable pretty easily. If you want to work on a media content
type, I would be interested in seeing the results. Thanks.