[packagekit] Winds of change: 0_4_X

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 09:11:12 PDT 2009

With the PolicyKit -> polkit1 change, the backend property branch, and
the InstallPackage(trusted) changes all sitting in my local branches
as they're "not ready for stable" just yet, I think it's time to
branch master into PACKAGEKIT_0_4_X and start working on master, for
the 0.5.x series.

What I propose is creating the branch, merging in the polkit1 code,
and then the trusted branch, and then sorting out the conflicts. I'll
email the list later about the backend property branch which needs
discussion. For the first couple of days at least, don't expect 0.5.x
to compile without a bit of love.

As usual, please commit to master, and then cherry-pick into 0_4_X or
0_3_X as required. Please don't commit code into 0_4_X that isn't yet
in master.

If it helps anybody from a planning point of view, I'll be shipping
0.3.x in Fedora 10, 0.4.x in Fedora 11 and 0.5.x in Fedora 12. I might
backport 0.5.x into Fedora 11 if the need arises, so assume that all
branches will maintained at least for the next year or so.