[packagekit] New GUI

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Jun 18 07:46:48 PDT 2009

Mounir Lamouri wrote:

>> Doesn't seem to make all that big a difference really,
>> more like web browsing in new windows or in new tabs...
>
> Not sure about that.
> As i'm working on portage backend, I have gnome-packagekit installed
> (with xfce) and as I launch it mostly with gpk-application, I was a
> bit surprised when I realised there was a specific application for
> updates, configuration, etc.

It was mostly about the "new window" versus "new tab",
whether or not they are applications seems more like an
implementation issue - apparently they are plugins in
KPackageKit already and so can function as either...

> At least have them available from the toolbar or something would be
> interesting.

Sure, but I'm still not that makes it into a "New GUI" ?
More like a different way of showing/launching the old.

--anders