[packagekit] [gentoo-dev] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"

Sebastian Pipping webmaster at hartwork.org
Fri Jun 19 11:53:21 PDT 2009

Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
> Neither of the gits gentoo has seems very split,

I was referring to git in Debian here:

  Package: git-core
  Binary: git-core, git-doc, git-arch, git-cvs, git-svn,
    git-email, git-daemon-run, git-gui, gitk, gitweb

> texlive with (http://www.tug.org/texlive/) seems to be missing from this list.
>
> $ eix -H http://www.tug.org/texlive/ | tail -n 1
> Found 79 matches.
>
> I suspect you used grep (or whatever) to construct your data, instead of using
> the package manager or a tool that knows how to extract the data available in
> packages (and eclasses).

True, grep and friends.

> I'm not sure which 3 cases you mean.

I was referring to what I said before, in summary:
1) non-unique homepages
2) extra work for split packages
3) extra work for category mapping

> I did not argue for a data format nor for a specific language nor coding style
> nor anything that seems to match what you are saying here; I only spoke about
> how to populate the CPE database.

I understood you wanted to replace the XML colection with mapping code.
I got you wrong then.  I agree that combining automated fill of the
database with manual can speed things up a lot.

Sebastian