[packagekit] How to get an install time of package?

Michal Vyskocil mvyskocil at suse.cz
Fri Mar 20 02:09:44 PDT 2009

Hi all,

is there any way how to get an install time of package using PackageKit? Rpm
has an INSTALLTIME tag, but I'd like to use PackageKit. I read the
documentation, but it seems PackageKit does not provide it.

Why I'm asking. We are looking forward how to implement something like
Debian's Popularity Contest [1] for openSUSE. We had an opened Feature [2]
about that and investigated how to implement it.

The first thinking was just get a Debian implementation, sed 's/dpkg/rpm' and
everything would be done. But even if dpkg call is relative cheap, the rpm
opens and closes a transaction, so run of the popcon client on rpm system is
very slow.

So my colleague implemented a new client called popcorn [3], which produces a
same output as Debian script, but uses a python rpm module, so all queries are
done in one transaction, which is much faster than calling rpm binary.

But it would be nice to make popcorn usable on every Linux distribution (and
I've found some notices about popularity contest in appinstall archive [4]

[1] http://popcon.debian.org/
[2] https://features.opensuse.org/305877
[3] http://stick.gk2.sk/blog/2009/03/popcorn-popularity-contest-for-rpm/
[4] http://www.packagekit.org/releases/app-install-001.tar.gz