[packagekit] About Debian user-defined files

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed May 6 09:53:32 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 21:50 +0200, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 05.05.2009, 21:02 +0200 schrieb Ivan Gomez Rodriguez:
> > Could fit somehow this info in the data field of the Package ID or
> > making use of another packagekit's concept?
>
> Using the PackageID would be the easiest way. You could store the
> information in the data field.
>
> You would have to patch the get_id_from_package method in the APT python
> backend. At the moment the data field only contains the origin.

I'm not sure munging it in the data field makes much sense.

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 21:02 +0200, Ivan Gomez Rodriguez wrote:
> close-apps
>   Application manager close all aplications before installing this
> package.
> suggest-backup
>   Application manager suggest user to taka a backup before installing
> this package.
> reboot
>   Application manage will reboot the device cleanly after the package
> has been installed.
> system-update
>  Indicate that the package is a *meta-package that controls operating
> system update*.

Are these properties of the package, or the device? I mean, I can update
the kernel on my Fedora laptop here using rpm, but it's a yum policy
that updating the kernel should ask the user to reboot. Surely you want
this data in the meta-data, not in the package data, else how do you get
this before the package is downloaded?

It might be better to discover random attributes like this using the
WhatProvides method, and a method to get the provides.