[packagekit] Simulate* and arguments

Sebastian Heinlein sebi at glatzor.de
Thu Oct 29 15:29:50 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 09:28:01AM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> 2009/10/29 Sebastian Heinlein <sebi at glatzor.de>:
> > The SimulateRemove method should also support the autoremove argument.
> > Furthermore the complex transactions require that RemovePackages has
> > got an only_trusted option too.
> >
> > You want to defer this changes to 0.6.x, Richard?
>
> I agree the autoremove parameter is needed, but surely only_trusted
> only makes sense when you're installing? Or can you tell if packages
> are signed when they are installed with apt? I'm still not sure it
> makes sense as an admin has installed a non-signed file (as it
> requires higher privs by default) and so you wouldn't want a user
> uninstalling an unsigned file just as much as you wouldn't want a user
> uninstalling a signed file.

A removal could theoretical cause the installation of another
package. AFAIK the resolver in APT can take updates into account to
satisfy dependents of a to be removed package. This could e.g. happen if
the maintainer merges a package into another one and the user wants to
remove the old version, not having the updated merged package
installed.

Surely it's a corner case, but one that should not be missed.

Cheers,

Sebastian