[packagekit] Supporting plugins search and installation

Matthias Klumpp matthias at nlinux.org
Mon Feb 8 08:37:54 PST 2010

> On Sunday 07 February 2010 16:38:01 Naba kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Anjuta, we are hoping to make things easy for users to find and
> install
>  plugins, something akin to how firefox addons are managed. Clearly, it's
>  best to be done with packagekit. This is something many other
>  applications
>  with plugin/extensions support will benefit without reinventing wheels.
If you just want to offer addons which are present in the distribution's
repositories, you can use the SearchFiles() function to get package names
which fit those requirements BUT searching files in non-installed packages
behaves a bit strange in PackageKit.
For example on Debian, apt-file is needed to access this functionality. And
on Fedora you have to insert the full file path to get results. (Tested
some months ago with PackageKit dev version)
You can try it out and see if it satisfies your requirements.
Regards
   Matthias Klumpp