[packagekit] Asterisk in search files command

Matthias Klumpp matthias at nlinux.org
Fri Jul 2 09:20:00 PDT 2010

Hello!
I have a question about the usage of the asterisk (*) in search commands on
PackageKit:
For example, I want to know in which package a version of
libogg.so.<version> is.
On Ubuntu I query pk_client_search_files_async() with "/usr/lib/libogg.so."
as search term. I don't want to see any developer package, so the dot at
the end is necessary. APT finds the right package. On Fedora this does not
work, so I added an asterisk to the end: "/usr/lib/libogg.so.*"
PackageKit throws a warning "failed: Invalid search containing '*'".
Well, why does this not work? If I use pkcon on Fedora using
 $ pkcon search file /usr/lib/libogg.so.
I get no results. But if I try
 $ pkcon search file /usr/lib/libogg.so.*
I get all the results I want. So, why does pkcon allow the usage of * and
why does it fail if I try do do the same? Pkcon uses pk_task, I use
pk_client, but this should not make a difference...
Regards
   Matthias