[packagekit] app-install 0.1.0 released!
hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 07:41:39 PDT 2010
app-install is a metadata schema and some simple tools for getting
data about applications.
Tarball is located here: http://www.packagekit.org/releases/
Homepage is here: http://github.com/hughsie/app-install
- This is the first public release of app-install. This is the result
of collaboration between Richard Hughes, Roderick Greening and
- This project is merely a data source that can be generated by a
distribution and send to user in packages or distro metadata.
This project contains some simple tools to manipulate the data and
make it easy to install and remove data.
- This project does not use PackageKit, not does PackageKit use it,
although it's expected that front-end tools will be using both projects
as datasources. PackageKit won't know anything about applications.
- Is it expected that other distros write simple metadata generators,
which due to a shared standard can be read by application installers.
- This standard is going to be used in gnome-packagekit, kpackagekit and
Listaller, and is similar enough to the original text-based format to
allow applications like the ubuntu software center to be easily ported.
- The version 1 schema is deliberately super simple. Expect version 2 to
have cool features like popularity and other stuff like that.
- Switch to manipulating binary databases, and allow adding and
removing by package names (Richard Hughes)
- Add app-install-query, a tool to query the app-install database
- Add app-install-extract-package to explode a distro package to a
tree of files (Richard Hughes)
- Add a metric-shedload of self tests for AiDatabase (Richard Hughes)
- Add a metadata generator for apt (Daniel Nicoletti)
- Fix app-install-generate-yum to work with the new type of database
format (Richard Hughes)
- Don't explode in app-install-generate if we pass it a full desktop
path (Richard Hughes)
- Report argument list failures rather than silently exiting (Richard Hughes)
- Ensure we load the source database not the destination database on
import (Richard Hughes)
More information about the PackageKit