[packagekit] Feeding messages to user while installing packages

Fabio Erculiani lxnay at sabayon.org
Sun Jan 30 07:57:16 PST 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Anders F Björklund <afb at algonet.se> wrote:
> Fabio Erculiani wrote:
>
>> Let me state clearly, not being able to feed messages to user while
>> installing a package is a NO-NO for any Gentoo-based distributions.
>> This is the reason why I haven't been able to push PackageKit much in
>> both Gentoo and Sabayon lands.
>
> Are these interactive, or something that could just be logged somewhere ?

No, they are not interactive.

>> Is there any possible, reliable solution?
>
> If they are interactive, you could do it the same way as debconf does...

As written above, they're not interactive but should be displayed to
user while installing or just right after.
These messages usually contain useful information that user should
get, example (ignore the einfo part):

        einfo "In order to update your hddtemp database, run:"
        einfo "  update-hddtemp.db"
        einfo "If your hard drive is not recognized by hddtemp, please consider"
        einfo "submitting your HDD info for inclusion into the Gentoo hddtemp"
        einfo "database by filing a bug at https://bugs.gentoo.org/"

--
Fabio Erculiani