[packagekit] Feeding messages to user while installing packages

Fabio Erculiani lxnay at sabayon.org
Mon Jan 31 02:25:59 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 January 2011 15:57, Fabio Erculiani <lxnay at sabayon.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Anders F Björklund <afb at algonet.se> wrote:
>>> If they are interactive, you could do it the same way as debconf does...
>>
>> As written above, they're not interactive but should be displayed to
>> user while installing or just right after.
>> These messages usually contain useful information that user should
>> get, example (ignore the einfo part):
>
> You can use Message() to tell the frontend client to show the user a
> dialog box of a certain type. By giving the message an enumerated type
> the frontend can choose to ignore some message types and show others.

As I told you some time ago, that's not possible.

> I think it makes no sense whatsoever to just show the user a *generic*
> untranslated "read this" dialog box after updating packages.

Maybe it doesn't make sense for Fedora, Ubuntu, whatsoever. But it
does make sense for Gentoo, where you are not only dealing with
newbies and any PMS interface has to respect certain conditions,
including showing packages "read this" messages.
The "untranslated" part has nothing to do with the issue I'm trying to
explain here, translation is another matter (given that the backend
should share the same locale as the frontend, but I guess this case is
not handled).

I'd need a way to send some kind of post-transaction informational
message, that's it ;-)

> Richard.

Fabio Erculiani