[packagekit] Loss of auto-update functionality in GNOME-3.6

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 03:13:24 PST 2013

On 6 January 2013 10:57, Daniel Drake <dan at reactivated.net> wrote:
> Previously I was taking advantage of packagekit-gnome's checkbox that
> automatically installed package updates when they became available. That has
> now disappeared.

Right. It was causing system corruption by installing updates as the
user was shutting down, and that kind of thing. Updating firefx or
openoffice whilst firefox or oo was running caused all kinds of
application glitches and crashes. We came to the conclusion that the
only safe way to update was to do it outside of the session, and in
the future to do a disk snapshot before and after.

> Is there any way to continue with fully-automatic (no user intervention)
> package upgrades in this new version?

There's packagekit-cron which might do what you want -- although for
my parents, when they click Shutdown, they instead click "Install
updates and restart" and they've adapted quite naturally to the
change.

Writing a 100 line python script to actually apply the session updates
like before also wouldn't be too hard. Yell if you need a hand doing
that.