[Pixman] Performance of radial gradients

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Mar 8 17:07:48 PST 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:49:50 +0200 (EET), M Joonas Pihlaja <jpihlaja at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> If we're looking at radial gradient correctness could we actually
> define clearly what the radial gradient is supposed to compute first?
> Right now there are rather weird discontinuities which occur
> sometimes, such as when the focal point moves outside of the outer
> circle.  I've also seen some very odd looking vertical banding.

Here are some notes from the last time I remember thinking about the
problem:

http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2007-February/009782.html
	which has message-id of 87d540vk3s.wl%cworth at cworth.org

http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2007-March/009857.html
        which has message-id of 87slcolris.wl%cworth at cworth.org

There I mentioned some results from surveying various radial-gradient
specifications (PDF, SVG, etc.) and even displayed some experimental
results I was able to obtain.

Unfortunately, the links I published to my results don't work anymore,
(due to the great hard-drive failure of freedesktop.org), and it looks
like I never contributed the radial-extreme test case as I had intended
to, (it would have been an XFAIL anyway---we hadn't yet decided on what
the correct reference image would look like). And I can't find any
obvious instances of the supposed radial-extreme.c test case on my hard
drive now.

-Carl