[Pixman] [cairo] Cairo roadmap

Andrea Canciani ranma42 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 14:42:40 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Krzysztof Kosiński <tweenk.pl at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/9/26 Andrea Canciani <ranma42 at gmail.com>:
>> For some features we already have (partial) implementations
>> which we might want to merge soon to test and improve them as
>> needed (I'm thinking about stroke-to-path and gradient meshes,
>> but probably there are many more).
>
> I would like the following to be in 1.12, so that the next major
> version of Inkscape can use Cairo exclusively:
>
> 1. Floating point coordinates in Pixman.
Do you mean in the API? Or for internal computations?
> 2. Gradient precision improvements.
I have a couple of branches improving them:
- http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ranma42/pixman/log/?h=wip/radial-float2
  (almost ready for merge, I would just like some benchmarking on
  non-x86_64 architectures)
- http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ranma42/pixman/log/?h=wip/linear2
  (it probably won't compile on 32 bits architectures, as it uses int128_t.
  I'm working on getting wide-ints (and atomics etc etc) from cairo in pixman,
  but there is still some work to do)
> 3. Bitmap supersampling.
I should be working on this, too, I know...

> 1 and 2 are absolute blockers. 3 is optional, but would be very useful to
> have.
All of these are actually changes/fixes in pixman, not cairo.
I'm quite sure they should belong to some todo/roadmap for pixman (and
this is why I'm sending this mail to the pixman mailing list, too), but I
don't think that cairo 1.12 should be blocked by them.
Andrea