[Pixman] Pixman on iOS

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 00:35:09 PDT 2011

2011/7/11 cu <cairouser at yahoo.com>:
> I am lifting an old thread here, since there is a bit of data that may
> be related.
>
> I have been testing Quartz surface vs. image surface performance - on an
> Intel Mac.
> The results are somewhat surprising to me. A certain image that's a
> pretty good mix of polygons, lines, icons (copied from another surface)
> and text gets the following drawing times (seconds):
>
> Pixman with SSE - 0.122
> Pixman, no SSE or MMX: 0.140
> Quartz (using fonts through Freetype backend): 0.145
> Quartz (using fonts through Quartz font backend): 0.165
>
> A few conclusions:
> - Pixman is quite a bit faster than Quartz when used by cairo. Assuming
> this extrapolates to iOS/arm - having a proper optimized Pixman build on
> iOS is quite crucial.

This is the same on Windows. The win32 surface using GDI is quite a
bit slower (2-4x) than using an image surface and blitting to the
screen.
I hoped that the Direct2D work by Mozilla would have been merged by now.

> - Even unoptimized, it is still somewhat preferable to use pixman over
> Quartz
> - Quartz is slower with its own fonts - this one I just don't get
>
> As an aside, even if I use exactly the same fonts (selected by name in
> Quartz vs. loaded as file in Freetype), they render differently in both
> image and quartz surface, with Freetype fonts quite a bit "crisper".

I didn't see this difference on Windows. Did you set the anti-aliasing
and hinting options to the same values for both surfaces?

Maarten