[Pixman] [RFC] Performance statistics analyzer

Taekyun Kim podain77 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 21:35:40 PDT 2011

Hi,

Currently pixman is used as a lowlevel backend for various applications.
For doing analysis on performance, it might be desirable to provide some
performance statistics information to developers.

The basic idea is based on siarhei's slow-path-reporter. I extended it to
accumulate information of every composite paths. Final result will be
shown at the end of the application when destructor is called. Each paths
are sorted by the amount of time they spent.

The main purpose of this utility is to profile cairo traces. We can easily
figure out hot spots and real world usage patterns.

You can see it from here.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~podain/pixman/?h=perf_stat
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/%7Epodain/pixman/?h=perf_stat>

You can give --enable-perf-stat option to configure script to enable the
performance statistics analyzer. (I'm not sure that this is done right,
because I'm not familiar with autoconf, but it works anyway)

Is it right or good to include this feature within upstream? I think other
developers can easily profile their applications and report the statistics
when they suffer from performance.

I was thinking of some performance log channel, individual composite
event is printed though that log channel and statistics analysis utilities
to retrieve meaningful information from the log.

All suggestions and comments are welcome.

--
Best Regards,
Taekyun Kim