[Pixman] Moving xf86-video-omapfb's YUV format conversion code into pixman

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Tue May 29 22:22:36 PDT 2012

2012/5/30 Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail.com>

> (Resending to a different email address for Tuomas, which hopefully works.)
>
> Hi Kalle, Tuomas, Ian,
>
> I recently began looking at adding some YUV format code to pixman. The
> X server has a rather awful xf86XVCopyYUV12ToPacked function which
> would be great to replace with pixman, which already has the
> infrastructure to support multiple vectorized implementations.
>
> Siarhei pointed me to xf86-video-omapfb's image-format-conversions.c
> which already has some similar code. Would you be interested in
> porting this code to pixman? It seems better suited in pixman where it
> could be potentially useful for a number of other software projects.

The code should be license-compatible at least, but I'm unsure how
compatible in terms of passed parameters, which might impact the
implementation. I think I checked pixman way back when while looking
for YUV conversion implementations, but at that time the support
wasn't really there (I think it only converted to/from RGB formats).

It would be very nice to have proper YUV conversion support in pixman
and if the x-v-o implementation would work for that, that's cool. And
vice versa, when pixman has YUV support then we should port x-v-o to
that.

I don't foresee myself having time to contribute to this any time soon though.

> Also, does xf86-video-omapfb have some kind of mailing list, irc
> channel, web site, ... anything really? I couldn't find anything
> except the git repo.

No, the project hasn't been popular enough to warrant creating such thus far :)

Also, "real soon now" there will be omapdrm which partly obsoletes
this driver. Though if omapdrm does not and/or can not be made to
support OMAP2, then this driver still has it's place.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi