Proposed: libpcre

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Aug 1 08:18:57 EEST 2004

Hi,

Maybe this points out that the freedesktop.org platform should be
limited to things that need to be shared for interoperability and/or
consistent user experience across apps.

If app A uses one regexp library and app B uses another, that really
doesn't impact either interoperability or user experience, other than
the fact that one regexp lib may be higher or lower quality.

I don't think freedesktop.org should be in the business of blessing one
implementation detail vs. another. The point here is interoperability
and avoiding the negative user impact you get from e.g. multiple MIME
systems.

This line of thinking might also impact libxml or pkgconfig. Perhaps
there's an additional reason to include something in the platform (that
it is a dependency of a package that does interop stuff).

But there's another line that may be relevant: fd.org platform should
potentially only include packages that are actively part of the fd.org
community. So e.g. this would exclude libpng.

I don't know that these lines are right but we really have to have some
lines to avoid including "any package that looks useful"

Daniel have you guys written up any guidelines on what should go in the
platform vs. what should not?

Havoc