Proposed: multisync

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Sat Jul 31 03:53:50 EEST 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:47:11AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> I'm proposing multisync with this mail, but as per a follow-up I'm about
> to post, not because of my own personal approval.
>
> Rationale:
> multisync seems to be the canonical data-synchronisation platform for
> free desktops, and includes plugins for Opie, Evolution, WinCE (via
> SynCE), LDAP, IrDA and Bluetooth.
>
> However, it has significant downfalls: it does not enjoy universal
> support, and OpenSync (http://opensync.freedesktop.org) is apparently
> intended to supplant it.

KDE support is rudimentary at best, and quite possibly non-existant: it
is unclear that this library enjoys wide enough support to be included
in the platform.

Personally, I would encourage the OpenSync developers or MultiSync
developers to further develop and mature their respective platforms to
the level that is required for the platform, as well as actively seeking
the widest possible support for their libraries. In particular, while
GNOME has been mostly taken care of through the excellent Evolution
support, KDE must be engaged, as well as other platforms that require
synchronisation support.

Coherent synchronisation support is something we desperately need, and
that should be a component of our platform in future releases.

However, I'm not executive-decisioning this, as with the other rejects;
I feel that the need for synchronisation is important enough to at least
give MultiSync a second chance. This proposal comes with no positive
predjudice from myself; it's merely here for discussion.

If there's only one thing you discuss this release ...

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org