Thoughts and a possible plan

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Mar 11 15:56:19 EET 2004

Hi,

I don't think this is what we want; the idea of the freedesktop.org
platform (at least as I had it) is NOT to provide an ABI for ISVs. In
fact that's the LSB's domain.

What I want is the common foundation or base for GNOME, KDE, OO.org,
Mozilla, WINE, Java/Swing - i.e. here is what the full platforms are
built on top of. Obviously it's a goal to factor out and share more code
between the full platforms, but the freedesktop.org platform is not
expected to be a full platform anytime soon. In particular I don't
expect it to touch the toolkit issue in any foreseeable future - rather
the goal is a shared backend for the toolkits.

Havoc