Yet another monthly platform email

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Apr 12 19:06:53 EEST 2005

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 10:35, George Kraft wrote:
> > Slack, and ye shall receive.  Behold ye the Freedesktop Platform Specs
> > 1.0:
> >
> > http://standards.freedesktop.org/freedesktop-platform-specs/1.0/
>
> Respectfully, declaring version one seems premature.  :-)

The impression I got from this list was that the specs included were adopted
de-facto already, highly stable, and desirable for the long term.  I don't
see a strong justification for numbering a spec base with that status with a
0.X number (_maybe_ 0.9).  But if I hear one I'll consider it.

> How about
> calling it v0.1 to start, then lets discuss requirements and candidate
> features to form a more complete specification.  If you could get the
> platform and xdg lists to have indepth discussions on this during April
> and May, then this could make a great discussion in Ottawa at the
> Desktop Developers Conference.  In the very least this should be a
> presentation.
>
> http://www.desktopcon.org/2005/
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2004-July/004283.html
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/platform/2004-October/000102.html
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2004-August/004322.html

The release as of about 2230 EDT last night is specs only.  Freedesktop
Platform Software 1.0 is still a ways off, and I would expect slightly more
contention over it.  But a Platform release of _some_ kind has been wanting
for a while now, hence the clever naming.

I'd be happy to present on the topic at DDC (since I don't look to have enough
material for the other presentation I wanted to do), though I wouldn't be
surprised if the audience ended up doing a lot of the talking.  But I'm fine
with that idea. ;)

- ajax