hey, remember the platform?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sat Jul 2 00:49:25 EEST 2005

On Friday 01 July 2005 15:29, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> To some extent I see this argument, but also when Aaron and others say
> this I find myself thinking "OK, so some people say stupid stuff; just
> tell them they are stupid and roll on" ;-)
>
> Basically I don't think we should base decisions on the opinions of
> random bystanders. If core developers are getting all OMFGWTF, that's
> important. If Slashdot kiddies are getting excited, well, yay for them.

Developers do get retarded about this though.  Or at least that's my
impression from reading the gnome and kde planets, which granted don't make
much distinction between core people and random headcase in the corner with a
blog.  There's a very real desire out there to use some sort of official
freedesktop blessing as a way of coercing adoption.  That's not preventable,
that's human nature; but we don't have to walk into it.

Maybe you toolkit weirdos are just an excitable lot.

There's a philosophical question here about what the software platform is
actually for.  I don't have that answer yet.

- ajax