hey, remember the platform?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sat Jul 2 21:41:18 EEST 2005

On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 12:25:53PM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 01 July 2005 02:49, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > You seem to be assuming that fd.o is actually a coherent, defined
> > organisation.  Which it isn't.
>
> this is a cop out and not particularly useful.

As much as it's a cop-out, it's the truth.  None of yourself, myself,
ajax, Havoc, or Waldo can sit here, dictate something, and have it
happen.

> FD.o has a website and a public identity (brand, if you will). it has
> documents and software associated with it, it has hardware resources, it has
> processes for some basic items, etc, etc..
>
> whether there is a defined organization of people or not, there is certainly a
> defined entity here.

Entity, yes.  But not enough of an entity to even be able to control its
own DNS.  But it's not an organisation, no.

The only thing that is really actually managed by a fd.o group is, as
you say, the hardware resources.

> > What the platform really needs is for people to say 'I am <special
> > interest group>, and what would really be useful to me is <stuff>.
> > <some list> is what I would see useful in a platform, and <other stuff>
> > is what I would see as counter-productive.  Please feel free to run
> > ideas by me.'
>
> i agree. where i seem to diverge from most others here is that i don't believe
> these people are going to magically appear. i think there needs to be some
> leadership excercised to reach out and help find these people and show them
> the path here. once here, i think things can go well. but i do not see these
> people appearing magically of their own accord to be realistic.
>
> i say this because it hasn't happened yet.

I don't disagree with you.  I attempted to go out and engage with them
when I first kicked off the platform effort, and ultimately fell flat on
your face.  If you have any ideas about finding and engaging external
interest groups who would be useful, please go out and unilaterally do
so.  Don't wait from a word from on high.