hey, remember the platform?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Jun 30 19:43:10 EEST 2005

On Thursday 30 June 2005 11:57, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> >  and cairo isn't being used in KDE, so it's
> >right out of any list of de-facto adopted code.
>
> Just curious what would change your view of this (not
> questioning it, it still seems too early to me as well).
> Is "in KDE" always a requirement?  I'm hearing a lot of
> pretty key apps starting to use cairo, including
> OpenOffice and Firefox - it's not mainstream for either
> AFAIK.  Does something like that end up tipping the
> balance?

I think not being adopted by a toolkit with roughly 50% deployment as the
system's primary toolkit, is a pretty clear indicator that cairo does not
belong to the set of software required for building a modern desktop.

That's is not an indictment of cairo, or of qt.  Read that as a statement of
the intent of the platform.

- ajax